- My friend Sandy died on December 29, 2018.
- My grandson turned three on the 27th.
- Sandy and I had in common a grandson and a granddaughter.
- The grandson’s birthday party was yesterday on the 30th.
- Sandy’s funeral will be on January 12th.
- We are all of us, living and dead on the third planet from the sun in a galaxy on the outer edge of the Milky Way; Though we hardly ever think about it.
Our grandson’s birthday party was at one of those community spaces you can rent. It was wild and crazy, kids running around shrieking. It put me in mind of how human beings at a certain age can be dropped into a group and create culture and language and despite differing vocabularies and maybe appearances “fit in” by just joining the fray. As they went screeching about I thought of them rushing through the tall grass to flush out foul or careening to an undiscovered country while chasing something, or fleeing something.
So, I find myself, in all my sadness and in all my joy, thinking:
What blame is there in this life when we are all tumbling through space and time only trying to find a hand to hold?
What praise is there when all our consequences are rendered into nothingness except for this:
We have loved and been loved.